Home > Dr. Greg > Segment Summaries >
Boost Your Chances of Surviving
a Round of Layoffs
Dr. Greg Ketchum, 4/12/03
This is for folks who have jobs and want to boost
their chances of hanging on during cutbacks.
- The economy continues to creep along. Slow
- The economy shed another 108,000 jobs in March,
which was higher than expected
- Unemployment rate rose to 5.7% in March from
5.5% in Feb.
- On the other hand initial claims for unemployment
benefits fell by 38,000 for the week ended April
5 from the previous week, which was steeper
- Yahoo: Just reported 4th consecutive
profitable quarter, further evidence that the
company has turned a corner from its financial
misfortunes during the dot-com bust in 2001
So the picture is a mixed bag.
- At times like this, your planning horizon
moves from looking at the longer term picture
to more of a short term plan. In other words,
do whatever you need to do to hang on and get
through this economic slowdown.
- One of the best ways to get through is to
do everything you can to hang onto your current
job until the economy pulls out of the doldrums.
Keep Your Current
If you’re currently employed do everything you
can to make yourself indispensable. Take the
initiative, continuously find ways to “add value”
and make sure that your boss and his/her boss
know about it, but don’t be a braggart or brown
3 Key Take-aways for our
- Performance: Boost your job performance now.
Delivering results is what counts. Looking busy, being
busy won’t save you.
- Revenue: Find ways to cut costs or improve revenue.
- Network: Get to know key players across your
organization. The time to build your network is when you
have a job, not when you’re out of a job. Get that network
in place now by looking for opportunities to network as
a part of your daily work. Remember, networking is a two
way street and you’ll only get as much help as you give.
If you’ve got work or career topics you’d like to see us
address, just send me an email at email@example.com.
®2004 All rights reserved. Gregory
A. Ketchum, Ph.D.